Monday, October 6, 2008

A Lesson in Math

This evening I was flipping through channels on TV when I came across a debate between our current state superintendent, Terry Bergeson and her opponent, Randy Dorn. The topic was the math WASL and changing the standards that students must meet in order to graduate from high school. Now, I'm against the WASL and think that it is not a good indicator of a student's knowledge. And Randy Dorn agrees with me. But anyway, back to the debate. Randy Dorn spoke about how our math curriculum needs to include calculations, which right now it doesn't. In Terry Bergeson's response, she spoke about how she had spent "1,000,000 hours talking with math folks about standards." So in my own curiosity, I wanted to find out just how long 1,000,000 hours was. With my handy calculator, I punched out the number to find that 1,000,000 hours is equal to about 41,666 days, or 114 years. She's been doing a lot of talking! I think this just goes to show the importance of math and the ability to add.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

If she has been talking for 114 years, she ages well. Perhaps she should start talking about what ant-aging cream she uses, because I'd be all over that like a pencil on WASL!

Aimeeable said...

That sounds like quite a sophisticated argument. I think the only way to make it sound even better would be to substitute infinity plus one for 1,000,000 hours, because everyone knows that always wins.