Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Is it Christmas yet?

As a teacher, one of the great perks is getting nearly three weeks off for "Winter Break." At my school we still can say "Christmas" and even dress up for Halloween. But back to the point, I am so ready for vacation. This year I have 27 darling little seven-year-olds depending on me to educate them. Unfortunately with this large number of kids I feel more like a referee than a teacher. Instead of spending 15 minutes on proper nouns, it's 10 minutes getting 54 eyes looking at me and 270 fingers out of their noses. Not to mention all of the "So-and-so hit me" and "so-and-so called me a name." (By the way, my kids do have nicer names than so-and-so, just keeping my hynie covered.) So that leaves 5 minutes learning about proper nouns. And in just a year these kids will be taking a state standardized test that is supposed to reflect on how effective my teaching is. I guess what this all really boils down to is that there are too many little darlings under my wings. I love each of them for their own little quirks, but man am I drained at the end of each day. So as I look at the calendar and count down the days, I can't wait for that Christmas vacation just for the sheer fact that I can re-energize! And shop :)

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I'd like to see 270 fingers in noses. That would be MUCH more exciting that nouns, any day! :o) I'm sure you are an excellent teacher; in fact, if we lived up there I would fight to get Jace into your classroom. You work hard and deserve a break!

Becky said...

Teachers have my utmost respect. I cant get three kids to get dressed with out losing my temper some days. Let alone 27 of them to sit still at once.

Aimeeable said...

I just can't get over the fact that you're a real teacher! I never thought that my teachers were just as excited for Christmas vacations as I was. I still believe that all my teachers lived at the school and slept under their desks at night... Isn't that were you really live Sarah?

Mrs. Stein said...

I do have a couch in my classroom that I could sleep on! I've never really asked, but there may be a few kids who don't think that I leave school every night. And believe me, it's very exciting when the kids see me out in public.